Who is the AAT?
The Association of Accounting Technicians, or AAT, is a UK-based professional body for vocational accountants, with over 133 000 members worldwide.
AAT South Africa was formed as a unique partnership between the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA) and the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT).
The AAT has approved Oxbridge Training Institute as a Training Provider and Assessment Centre (Training Provider Code: 0010432). OTI has been accredited by FASSET to offer the AAT Business Accounting Qualifications; Local Government Accounting Qualifications; and, Public Sector Accounting Qualifications (QAP/585/005 & A585000039). Click here to find out more about AAT.
What AAT Accounting Qualifications do OTI offer?
In South Africa, the AAT Qualifications are credit-bearing qualifications registered on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF).
AAT Business Stream
- AAT Certificate: Accounting Technician (NQF3)
- AAT FET Certificate: Accounting Technician (NQF4)
- AAT Certificate: Accounting (NQF5)
AAT Local Government Stream
- AAT Certificate: Local Government Accounting (NQF 3)
- AAT Certificate: Local Government Advanced Accounting (NQF 4)
AAT Local Government Stream
- An established and respected name globally since 1980
- Practical, real world skills that every business needs
- Qualifications that are open to everyone
- Flexible and cost effective training options
- Membership that demonstrates your professional excellence
How to decide which level is right for you
There are no prerequisites to start your AAT studies. This means that you can start your bookkeeping & accounting studies even if you have no prior knowledge or experience in this field.
If however you do have prior knowledge or experience in bookkeeping and accounting we recommend that you do the quick, free online AAT Skill Check test to see which starting level is best for you:
- Click on the link: AAT Accounting Courses Skills check
- Click on Take the AAT Skills check now
- Click on Register
- Fill in all the information and click register
- Login and take the test
- AAT will send you the results
Method of delivery?
The AAT business qualification is presented to individual students via distance learning.
- Access to tutors for academic assistance
- Flexibility to learn at your own pace and in your own time
- No start dates – you can enrol as soon as you are ready
- No set exam dates – you can take the exams as soon as you are ready
The AAT business, local government and public sector qualifications are presented to group registrations via a blended learning model, i.e. distance learning and contact sessions.
How does it work when you register for a course with OTI?
- You will receive your study material via courier once you have sent in your registration forms and proof of payment.
- You will become a member of the AAT (for the year in which you register for your studies).
- You will start studying from home, using the guidelines provided in your study guide.
- You will have access to academic support from qualified tutors via telephone and e-mail.
- You will be able to complete your assignments and practice assessments according to your own schedule.
- Once you have completed all your coursework, you will be able to take the final assessment. If found competent, you will receive your certificate from the AAT.
- Click here for more information on AAT exams and assessments
How long will it take to complete the AAT qualification?
Students complete a level by studying one module at a time. Once the exam for the first module has been completed the student will move on to the second module and so forth.
A study programme will be provided but the timeline for completion of a level is entirely under the student’s control as he/she can write the exam as soon as he/she feels that they are ready.
A student will receive a certificate for each level upon completion. Each certificate can be seen as a stand-alone qualification.
The full qualification (level 3, 4 & 5) will take approximately 3 years in total to complete.
Will an AAT Qualification help me to find a job?
This is probably the most frequently-asked question when it comes to the value of the AAT Qualification. And while no qualification can ever guarantee you a job, holders of the AAT Accounting Qualification are known to be highly sought after by employers, largely due to the technical knowledge and practical skills that they acquire through their training.